The North Bay Heritage Gardeners are a local, non-profit organization with over 250 volunteer gardeners who maintain and enhance ornamental gardens along the Lake Nipissing waterfront. No gardening experience required! FREE education sessions are offered to grow your gardening knowledge.
The gardening season runs from May to October each year, kicking off with a spring community cleanup in May and finishing by planting bulbs in October. Volunteers are placed in teams along the waterfront and garden under the guidance of a Team Leader. A Guest Gardener program is available for occasional gardeners. Teams typically spend 1-2 hours per week maintaining their garden bed.
Volunteerism is a cornerstone in the success of the Heritage Gardeners. It is only through the active engagement of a substantial group of volunteers that the Heritage Gardeners can accomplish its plans and make significant progress towards fulfilling its mission. Therefore, as a progressive non-profit organization, our commitment is to a volunteer service which ensures a satisfying experience. A Volunteer Appreciation Symposium is held each year to thank volunteers from the previous year. A membership card is issued to each registered volunteer so they may participate in the Volunteer Incentive program.
There are many ways to get involved with the Heritage Gardeners beyond gardening Interested volunteers are asked to contact the Heritage Gardener Executive Director.
BECOME A HERITAGE GARDENER IN THREE STEPS:
1. Sign a registration form;
2. Log your hours;
VOLUNTEER GARDENING OPPORTUNITIES
- Recreational Gardener
- Team Leader
- Executive Board member
- Committee member
- Guest Gardener
Team Leader (5+ positions) helps with the design, planting and maintenance of the waterfront garden beds and coordinates their garden team’s gardening activities. The Team Leader is responsible for attending the annual spring meeting and maintaining communication with team members.
The Executive Committee elections will take place at the Symposium. Open positions are listed below; the commitment involves attending monthly meetings and special events. Please use the Executive Committee nomination form 2019 to nominate an Executive member.
Executive Committee Chair (1 position) for the full position description and responsibilities, please click here.
Education Chair (1 position) will serve two years with a third-year option and will:
- Work with the Heritage Gardener Executive Director to set goals for education for the upcoming year using feedback obtained from the questionnaires filled out by current Heritage Gardeners at the annual symposium;
- Submit educational plan and reports to the Executive Committee for approval;
- Organize and schedule educational events and workshops as necessary;
- Review list of available speakers.
Sponsorship Chair (1 open position) will serve two years with a third-year option and will:
- Work with the Executive Committee and Executive Director to set goals for the upcoming year;
- Assist with fundraising initiatives associated with the Heritage Gardeners’ program;
- Review all fundraising, marketing and promotional requests with the Heritage Gardeners’ executive;
- Provide reports and summaries to the Heritage Gardeners’ executive;
- Assist with special projects as required such as the Symposium.
Advisor (1 open position) will serve two years with a third-year option and will:
- Provide support drafting business plans, setting goals and analyzing the feasibility of executing the plans;
- Provide guidance on legal, marketing, and finance aspects as required for project development;
- Assist with annual review of policies and procedures.
A signed registration form is required EVERY YEAR by each gardener. In order for the City’s insurance to cover all volunteers, each person much be registered every year.
Registration Forms are e-mailed to volunteers that registered the previous season. Hard copies are available for pick-up/drop-off at the Heritage Gardeners office and Discovery North Bay Museum, during regular business hours.
Map of the Waterfront Heritage Gardens